Good Food For All, which is realized when youth have the skills, capacity, and will to act as food citizens and land stewards, to grow and share healthy food for themselves, their families, and the planet!
We cultivate educational farms and programs where students dig into meaningful connections with the land, food, and each other, inspiring communities to build just food systems.
What We Do
We enact our mission through Schoolyard Market Gardens, educational farms that we utilize as pathways to youth empowerment and employment. We facilitate outdoor experiential learning with teachers and students; mentor youth leaders through garden clubs and summer programming; host internships for high school-aged youth, fostering self-confidence, leadership, and employment skills; and empower Vancouverites to grow their own food through our volunteer programs. All our food is sold into the school community—into cafeterias, food-access programs, markets, and to our neighbours. We also work with other schools and organizations to develop their own market gardens and associated programming. We are a thought leader in institutional food-systems change and outdoor experiential learning.
Our Core Values
Our core values are at the heart of everything we do here at Fresh Roots. They are joy, community, inclusivity, empowerment, and lifelong learning.
Our beliefs drive us towards our vision and direct our activities.
- We believe that good, healthy food is a right for all people.
- We believe that food is an inspiring and mobilizing force for good.
- We believe that education is the first step towards positive personal and systems change.
- We believe that healthy food systems are dependent upon a healthy environment and empowered communities.
- We believe that how we work together is as important as the work we do.
- We believe that collective action is imperative to food systems change.