Why Participate in the Great Big Crunch?
The Great Big Crunch is a great way to get your students excited about nutrition and agricultural literacy. Knowing they are a part of a cross-Canadian “crunch” adds even more ‘a-peel’. By Crunching with you class, you will…
- Promote Agricultural Awareness and celebrate healthy snacking
- Highlight availability of locally grown apples all year ‘round
- Make apples, or other fruits or vegetables, the centerpiece for activities on cooking and tasting, nutrition, soil and composting, sustainability, community development and more!
Fun Classroom Lessons and Activities
FoodShare Toronto, the original Great Big Crunchers, have put together a Great Big Collection of lessons you can use in your classroom to connect your crunch to math, science, language arts, and more! Whether your class participates in a day’s worth of activities, an afternoon, or just one Great Big Crunch, we hope your students come away from the experience with an enhanced interest and understanding of local produce, from seed to table.
How to Take the Great Big Crunch:
- Make your crunch count! Registering makes sure you’re part of the nation-wide count of crunchers, and it takes just a few minutes. Register here.
- Go beyond the Crunch! Download FoodShare’s 2020 Great Big Crunch Educator Toolkit or check out their other lessons for both new and pre-loved lessons you can use in your classroom to take your Great Big Crunch experience further. Resources are available in English and French.
- Stock up on local crunchy fruits and/or veggies! Use your BC Ag in the Classroom produce, purchase some locally grown apples, carrots, or other crunchy local produce, or have a “bring an apple to school day.”
- Crunch down at 2:30 pm P.S.T on Thursday, March 12, 2020! If you need to crunch at a different time, that’s ok too – we’ll store your crunch in the “crunch box” and release them all at the same time.
- BC Ag in the Classroom classes will be crunching on March 5th, to coincide with their last delivery!
- Share, share, share! Post to Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter using #greatbigcrunch. Like and tag @FreshRootsFarms, @bcaitc, @foodshareto, and @C4HSchoolFood and let us know you are crunching.
Learn more about our Great Big Crunch Partners
The Great Big Crunch is a project created by FoodShare Toronto and animated by organizations across Canada.
The Coalition for Healthy School Food works towards healthy school meals and programs across Canada to ensure that everyone has access to Good Food.
BC Agriculture in the Classroom Foundation provides healthy fruits and vegetables to schools across British Columbia.