Join us for the Fourth Annual Schoolyard Harvest Dinner
*At Home/Online Edition*
On Thursday, August 13th we’ll celebrate together (apart) with an elegant summer meal experience composed of the best and freshest of the season’s harvest all in support of Fresh Roots programs that engage and empower youth.
Traditionally our event has been a long table dinner held on the lawn at David Thompson Secondary. This year, observing restrictions of large group gatherings, Fresh Roots and guests will be connecting and congregating as a community online. Gathering together virtually and celebrating with a delicious, intimate summer meal experience composed of the season’s harvest in support of youth.
For this extra-special year, Fresh Roots is creating summer harvest boxes filled with everything you’ll need to create a beautiful summertime meal experience to share with friends, family, or colleagues at home. The box will include fresh and chef-prepared ingredients for a simple and delicious meal and thoughtful accoutrements like wine and flowers for the table.
Guests will come together online on August 13 at 6:00 pm for a celebration and program featuring kitchen tips and tricks from chefs TJ Conwi and Natasha Sawyer about how to compose your plates with the contents of your summer harvest box. Participants from the SOYL program will also share stories about their time with Fresh Roots.
Menu – just announced!
Amuse Bouche – Profiteroles stuffed with Freshroots Herbs and Salt Spring Island Goat Cheese. Candied Agassiz Hazelnuts. Wine Compressed Figs
Charcuterie Board – a selection of charcuterie from Legends Haul, an assortment of local pickled vegetables from our friends at Cropthorne Farm, Zaklan Heritage Farm and Freshroots, Saltspring Harvest Vege Pate and Vegan Spreadable dips accompanied by a demi-load of freshly- baked Fife Bakery Bread
Main – Sous Vide Organic Ocean Sockeye Masala and Legends Haul Sirloin, Fresh Roots Harvest Salad, Zucchini Palak Paneer Terrine, Carrot Vindaloo Vinaigrette, Atchara Relish, and Wheatberries
Dessert –Cheesecake topped with raspberry coulis from Olera Organic Farms
Beverages- your choice of a bottle of red or white wine from Marquis Wine Cellars, cans of 33 Acres Sunshine French Blanchè beer and kombucha from Bucha Brew.
Accoutrements- a bouquet of flowers for the table, cookies from Susgrainable, surprises created by our SOYL youth program participants, and more.
We will have a limited number of experiences for groups of two, four or six guests and are excited to offer incentives for folks who’d like to share the experience with others by hosting a larger (safe) gathering or sponsoring a company-wide dinner. Please contact Caroline Manuel, Communications and Engagement Manager at 778-764-0344 ext. 108 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or for more information.
HOW WILL IT WORK?
1. Purchase ticket(s)!
2. Choose a pick-up day! Packages will be ready for pick up in Vancouver Wednesday, August 12th where you will have an opportunity to meet our SOYL youth team who will have been working hard to create some special products to share with you! We will reach out to confirm which day works best for you, provide pick up location address, and any other helpful details! (If you would like to host a group we will be happy to arrange for the delivery of Dinners of 8 or more!)
3. On Thursday, August 13th you’ll set your table, lay out your picnic blanket, or find a lovely spot to enjoy your four-course meal. Make sure to chill the beverages in your package! (minimal cooking required for non-vegetarian dinners)
4. You’ll log on (with a link we will provide) at 6:00 pm to connect with your fellow guests and our Fresh Roots team and SOYL youth. Our talented chef partners will walk you through the simple preparation of the contents of your experience package providing some easy insider tips on how to prep and plate like a pro!
5. Once your meal is ready we’ll pause for a quick reset and give you a chance to sip a beverage and sample your first course!
6. We’ll continue with our celebration program and wrap up the festivities around 7:00 pm.