Thank you for choosing Fresh Roots! Our organization was started by a dedicated group of volunteers, and we really value your contributions in helping us work towards Good Food For All! Keep reading to see all the ways you can get involved.
Volunteer on Fresh Roots Farms
It’s time to get back outside! If you are looking for opportunities to connect with nature and work on meaningful projects, we’d like to welcome you to volunteer on Fresh Roots schoolyard farms. We believe that being close to the soil, working with plants and having safe ways to connect with each other and our community can have a tremendously positive impact on us as individuals. Not to mention your help has a big impact on our farm sites!
Interested? Sign up through this form for more information!
Who can help?
Volunteers of all ages and skill levels are welcome! (If you’re under 14, you’ll need to bring a responsible adult with you.)
What will I do?
We’ll work on different projects around the farm, but you can expect to work hard and get dirty. We’ll supply all the necessary tools, gloves, etc.
Here are the 2023 volunteer opportunities:
- “WEEDY WEDNESDAY” Weekday Garden Helper – Whether it’s weeding or prepping beds, no task is too small! We would love to have you support our Farm Team with the smaller gardening tasks around the schoolyard farms in Vancouver. Weekly shifts start in May; shifts are on a first come first serve basis.
- Big Helps – For working folks and families looking to unwind in the evenings and weekends, we need you to help us will big projects that take many hands. This could include building native garden beds and pathways, or other larger needs on the farm that give us the push of motivation to direct the farm in the right direction. Shifts are not regularly scheduled as they are according to the farms’ needs; stay tuned on social media for when they are announced.
- Field Trips (current intake for Spring 2023 – more information here) – Inspire students with the wonders of our ecosystem and urban food systems with our Experiential Learning team. If you love to help kids dig into learning (literally), join the field trip volunteer team! Spring field trips are April through mid-June during the school day, and we ask for a commitment of at least 6 field trips for the spring season. Training will be March 31st, 2023.
- Special Events – Volunteer at our annual fundraiser and other community events! Roles could include greeters, floaters, kid activity facilitators, and more!
- Suwa’lkh – Want to support our schoolyard farm in Coquitlam. Email Jaimie, our awesome Suwa’lkh lead, for more information at suwa’firstname.lastname@example.org.
What should I bring?
Dress for working outside in the weather (rain gear, sunscreen, hats, layers, etc.). If you have a favourite pair of garden gloves or hand tools, you’re welcome to bring them or use ours. You’ll also want to bring a water bottle and a snack. Please remember to bring your mask!
Our schoolyard farms are bustling with activity and we’d love to welcome your organization for a Team Building opportunity. We’re looking for teams to join us in a range of activities. From cooking healthy meals and making value-added goods, to turning compost, transplanting seedlings, beautifying the space, or building new infrastructure, there is always good work to be done.
If you are a company or group interested in a fun, meaningful way to connect with your team safely OUTSIDE, please get in touch with your team’s budget and size – Click here to start customizing your Team Build!
We really value your contributions! Everyone comes with a unique story and experience to share, and we are grateful you are choosing to share your time, enthusiasm, and energy with us. We look forward to meeting you! Please don’t hesitate to get in touch by emailing us at email@example.com.